Your bathroom may be filled with the keys to clear, glowing skin, but do you know how to use them correctly?
Nailing down the perfect skincare routine can be overwhelming. The skincare world is filled with millions of products that seem very similar, so it can be hard to know how and when to use them.
Plus, there’s a lot of contradicting information out there. Some people advocate for the ‘less is more’ approach, while others are sticklers for intricate 12-step routines. Don’t fret if you’re confused. We’re here to break down the proper order of applying skincare products, especially if your goal is to achieve brighter skin. Let’s jump in!
How To Build An Effective Skincare Routine
First, start off with the basics. You don’t need to over complicate your routine with fancy products, especially if you’re new to the world of skincare.
Dermatologists and skincare experts agree that there are three base products that everyone should have in their skincare routine:
- Cleanser - start with a gentle cleanser to rinse off everyday oil, debris, and dirt. Not only will cleansing rid your pores of any impurities, it will also prepare your skin for what’s to come next so it can really reap the benefits of your routine. The type of cleanser you choose will depend on your skin type, but a good basic to start with is our Pure Kojic Acid Skin Brightening Soap. The kojic acid works as a 2-in-1 solution to purify and brighten the skin, leaving you with a clean and bright complexion.
- Moisturizer - hydration and moisture are essential for creating a healthy skin barrier, which in turn repels irritants and prevents other skin issues. Again, the type of moisturizer will depend on your skin type, but in general you’ll want to look for natural humectants such as glycerin and hyaluronic acid that attract water to retain moisture.
- Sunscreen - finally, protect all the hard work you’ve just done with some SPF. The sun’s harsh rays can undo the powers of skincare by causing damage and irritation.
You’re certainly welcome to enhance your skincare routine with other products, but you should still be able to achieve your skincare goals with just these 3 basic products.
The Correct Order Of Applying Your Skincare Products
Now for the good part - here’s exactly how to apply your products for best results! Note that morning and evening routines will slightly differ.
Daily Morning Skincare Routine:
- Cleanser. Prime and prep your face by cleansing first.
- Toner/essence/face mist. Condition your skin for upcoming steps.
- Serum/concentrate. Treat any specific concerns with a powerful formula.
- Eye cream. Focus on the delicate skin of your eyes with a special cream.
- Spot treatment. Combat any specific spots that you want to get rid of.
- Moisturizer. Hydrate your skin and seal in any previous products.
- Face oil. Add an extra layer of moisture and secure all of your products. Face oils should always be applied after moisturizer because they can penetrate through other products, but no products can penetrate through them.
- SPF. Protect your skin from the elements with sunscreen.
Daily Evening Skincare Routine:
- Cleanser. Clear the day away and prep your skin for upcoming products.
- Toner/essence/face mist. Bring in even more moisture and ready the skin for absorption.
- Serum. Give your skin a powerful punch with a highly concentrated serum. These are especially effective at night, since the skin will be working extra hard to repair itself while you sleep.
- Eye cream. Treat your tired eyes to some extra care with a specialized formula that caters to the area’s finer skin.
- Spot treatment. Reduce the appearance of any specific spots that are giving you grief.
- Moisturizer. Nourish the skin with much-needed hydration while adding a barrier over any previous products.
- Face oil. Lock in all of your previous steps and add in some extra moisture.
You’ll always want to start with cleansing products and finish off with moisturizing ones. If you can’t remember the exact steps, a good rule of thumb to follow is the weight of the products. Start with the lightest textures and gradually move onto heavier ones. For example, a face mist will generally be lighter than an eye cream.
You don’t need much to make your skin happy and healthy. Just make sure you’re staying on top of your cleansing and moisturizing, and anything else is an added bonus.
Start your routine off strong with one of our skin brightening cleansers today!